Sunday 27 May 2012

What it's all about

Yesterday I ran the Albert Park Run, nothing unusual in that, I run it most Saturdays. Yesterday however was a little bit special for me. Nothing to do with my running though, in fact I didn't even manage to get within a minute of my own personal best. Not that I had a problem with that, it was my first run of the week and was a glorious scorching day. It was actually what happened about half an hour after I finished, more than forty five minutes after the winner had run through the line. I was talking to some friends when Rosie Lightfoot (the splendid lady who runs the I Run group on a Wednesday evening) finished her 5K (having run it alongside another lady to support & encourage her) and said that she was going round to catch up with Bill and Alec as Alec wanted to complete the 5K this week. Bill and Alec (father and son) also come to the I Run group and whilst Bill is a fine runner in his own right, he usually does the Park Run with Alec his son who isn't quite as able and needs Bill's support and encouragement. The volunteers manning the finish were happy to stay on and a small crowd at the café where also there to watch and cheer, about 15 minutes later this fabulous lady finished followed by Bill and Alec. (Photos by Karen Larkin) The cheering and applause in support of their effort was both long and loud and just reinforced the fact that I have been fortunate to discover a rather splendid community to be part of. This group of people who meet rain and shine on a Saturday morning and pound the paths of the Park show that, actually, running isn't just about fast times and winning, it's about supporting each other and encouraging each other to be the best they can. I think I shall be hanging around until the very end more often on Saturday mornings from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment